Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:20:38 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bentley wiring diagram. Questions on how to read.
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Thanks for the offer of the black box. I think the junction box I saved from the donor WBX would suffice. And thanks re: "conversation" on the list here. I find writing a challenge. As such, I try to be exact about what I'm trying to "say". The excellent minds I have "seen' at work here, push me toward that goal.

I mentioned earlier, likely via pmail, that if I used the Jetta fuse box, I was thinking of mounting it in the rear cabinet. I would cut a hole in the rear facing portion of the cabinet, mount the fuse box recessed into the hole so the tops of the relays would be flush with the surface and so the fuses/relays would be easily accessible. (the back of the fuse box would be covered) I would install the OBD port below or above it, then have a piece of wood that would flip down to serve as a table for a lap top, (OBD) and flip back up to serve as a cover for the fuse box.

Of course I would have to measure and see if there's room between the rear hatch and the rear of the cabinet for that "table".

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > If you need one of those vanagon relay boxes that mounts above the coil, I > have one or two. > I tend to want to save that for my own conversions though. > > The idea of using the jetta fuse box for just the portion you need is a fine > idea. - might be complicated messing with all those wires on the back of the > fuse box, but maybe not, assuming you might only have a dozen wires max for > the 3 fuses involved. And all the rest you can remove from the back of the > jetta fuse box. > If I was going to do that, I'd route a nice fat battery wire to it, ala > stock, which I'd probably get at the starter, and mount it behind the left > rear tail light so it looked half factory if I could. > Or better, due to the 'exposure to the elements' factor you so wisely > mention, under the back seat. > In a vanagon.........what is in the donor car's 'inside cabin area' for > fuse boxes, relays and ecu ( or was your fuse box under the hood in jetta ? > ) whatever was under the dash......... ...........in a vanagon engine > conversion, you put under the back seat, on the left side of the van, just > like 86 & up waterboxers have for their ECU location. It's indoors, dry, > temperature stable, and easy to get at. > leave the wires about 10 or a foot inches too long for lifting it up for > troubleshooting, continuity checking, etc. - so it's easy to work on. > > > It's really a pleasure to dialogue on gerryvanagon with someone that can > really get their head into something technical, and have an actual technical > and intelligent discussion about it. > So refreshing. I miss it. > Though to be fair there are at times some very intelligent and well > informed posts, even stuff I don't know about. Whadiya know ! . But it's > nice to be able to talk about a signal, or wiring diagram, or something like > that with someone actually interfacing with the vehicle and able to talk > about it intelligently. No offense of course ! > Scott > > > -----Original Message----- > From: neil N [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] > > Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:21 PM > To: Scott Daniel - Shazam > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > > > Subject: Re: Bentley wiring diagram. Questions on how to read. > > Ok. Thanks. > > I will probably stick with conventional wisdom and use separate > sockets and fuses for the relays and put them in a box a la the WBX. > > In the beginning I thought there wouldn't be sockets with say, 5 > female slots. But I was mistaken. (such a newbie!) Plus I felt that > putting relays that were inside the vehicle, outside (so to speak) > would expose the to the elements. Until recently, I didn't know that > the WBX had done this putting them in that "high voltage" box. Partly > cuz I just didn't think, but partly because I had sold that item with > my parts van engine! (embarassed to say I didn't look closely inside > it prior to selling it) > > I just thought it would be easier too, to use that perfectly good > Jetta fuse box. Then the relays would be fused, and the connectors > from the engine management stuff would just plug in. Anyhow..... > > Thanks again. > > Neil. > > > > On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Scott Daniel - Shazam > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > Hi neil, > > I think you're getting it though ! > > One thing I would suggest, if the fuel pump relay in the jetta uses the > > ground in the fuse box ( and the relay is probably mounted right the > fuse > > box come to think of it ! ) ............. > > 'it's normal in vanagon engine conversions to put that relay and the main > > relay and 02 heat relay in the back, by the engine and ECU back there, > > so don't run a wire forward looking for a ground in your vanagon fuse box > up > > front of course. > > Just make a solid ground in the back, to the engine or to the body. > > You might need a relay socket or two though. I 'might' put just the > relay > > portion of the jetta fuse box in the rear of the van, if that's all I had > > for relay sockets. I just keep doing what the factory does, and they put > > the relays back there by the engine in a waterboxer. > > > > In a jetta the all the stuff is 'up front' ........engine ECU, fuse box > > etc............ > > But I a vanagon the only thing up front is the fuse box, and your vanagon > > fuse box is for the existing circuits in the vanagon like lights - just > put > > all of it 'back there' and add in your own inline fuse holders as need > be. > > On a subaru conversion we have one 25 amp fuse for power to the ECU, > > And one 15 amp fuse in the 'ignition on' power supply to back there. I > just > > put the ECU and relays 'back there' or under the back seat for the ECU > > ............that's the best place for it really. I put the fuses in the > > engine compartment so they'll be accessible. > > Except for warning lights and gauges there's no need to go anywhere near > > the front of the van almost. Perhaps if you have a working CEL you might > > want that up there of course. > > > > > > Scott > > www.turbovans.com > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of > > neil N > > > > Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:50 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Bentley wiring diagram. Questions on how to read. > > > > > > > > Totally thanks much. > > > > I see what are explaining, up to the part where it goes from track 42 > > to the fuse and relay. > > > > I see it going to 42 which *looks like* ground. Do "we" assume that > > since there is already a ground from 31 that it must go to the fuse > > etc? Which is not visually connected in the diagram? And to boot there > > is a track reference number of 69 at the end of the wire from S18? > > > > I'm not arguing :^) > > > > And I really appreciate the patient help. > > > > I just don't get it. Why couldn't they just draw a dang line from 42 > > up to the dang connection at S18? (he says doing his best Napoleon > > Dynamite impersonation) > > > > Ahhhhh! I'm loosing my mind! Heh heh. > > > > But really, in the big picture it doesn't really matter. Once I get my > > hands on the parts during the engine install, I'll stand a much better > > chance of "seeing" it and how it should go. Bottom line, I need a > > relay that gets turned on by the ECM which in turn will close the > > circuit supplying power to the fuel pump. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > >