Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:04:22 -0800
From:         Ron LK Johnson <adhocMedia@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      AT trans on the way out?

Howdy - I have a '91 w/ AT, 189k miles. No records from P.O., so do not know mechanical history of the vehicle. Purchased last summer; approx 5k miles added. Last Fall, I had a shop change the AT fluid and filter.

Everything seemed okay until last week when my wife said it was having trouble on hills. So, I drove it a bit and it is slow to come up to speed and does not shift crisply. At this time I do not suspect engine compression - ran a check last Summer: 135/135/120/135 - I know, not great, but not catastrophic. It does not burn oil, but the oil looks dark even after a change out.

Other symptoms. The Tach shows engine revs coming up immediately, but vehicle speed lagging. After 15 minutes warm-up, the lag to final speed is not as pronounced. Seems like it will not run over 65 mph.

Checked AT fluid level - okay, not cloudy, still red. BTW, how serious is an overfill?

So, does this sound like a common AT problem? If so, is it repairable? At what cost? Better just to throw in the towel and replace w/ rebuild? GoWesty rebuilds OK?

Many Thanks, Ron Johnson PDX, OR '91 Weekender, Orly Blue, "Betty"