Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2008 05:58:15 -0800
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: S&S Exhaust system, how bad????

I have (2) complete S&S systems available with about 18 months on them, taken from parts vans. Headers and muffler as it comes from S&S. I have CATs available with O2 sensors as well for an additional $125 I would like $175 for the system minus CAT. I can ship them if needed. Pickup/delivery in NY, MA, CT.

please pmail me

dylan insyncro@yahoo.com ----- Original Message ---- From: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:12:00 PM Subject: Re: S&S Exhaust system, how bad????

I sell many, many of these every year and I have installed more than twenty of them myself on my vans and customers vans. Do they fit as nice as the OE pipes? Usually. I have had about three complaints over the years on them not fitting (over the course of 10 years now). I got one back a couple of years ago that I had to do a minor tweak to one of the pipes to get it to fit but that was the worst of it. If you install the OE pipes on a 1.9l there is one flange that never lines up just right either (on number one cylinder). As far as rusting goes I installed a set of OE pipes on a customers 2.1l Vanagon last winter. He drove it all summer and part of a winter and I got the van back. He is from New York. The OE pipes are in rough shape after less than 12 months but 18k miles. However this van was abused by the customer as it had many brand new parts and most of them look like they are five to six years old but I only installed them less than a year ago.

So the OE pipes do rust, so does S&S. You may have a better fitment with the OE pipes, maybe not. The quality of the S&S system is about 80% of the OE pipes (IMHO). The price is less than half for the 2.1l, and almost a quarter of the syncro version. The S&S system not only replaces the stock pipes and muffler but also eliminates the need for the stock muffler carrier and straps. That is how I get the savings figures I am talking about. I sell the S&S system for $335 plus shipping. If you are a good enough mechanic to replace your exhaust pipes then you are good enough to install this system. If you should have left the installation to a mechanic then either OE or S&S you will have problems (not the systems fault). The S&S muffler has a deeper note which some people don't like. I drove my van back and forth to Georgia several times with the system on there and it never annoyed me.

This is just my opinion and I guess I am biased as a person that sells these systems. However I am also a mechanic that installs them and I hate having vans come back. If I didn't think that the system was good quality I would not install it. I would insist on the OE system since that would make less headaches for me. However I have no headaches from installing the S&S system versus the OE so I keep installing them for folks. They save a little bit of money over the OE system and keep their van on the road for another few years.

I guess that is all I have to say about that. You have to make up your own mind, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Ryan Shawley wrote: > The inspector man told me to think about a new exhaust for this upcoming inspection. I currently have what I think is the S&S system, it surely isn't stock. Searching the archives shows that some people have one hell of a time installing the S&S. Is this still an issue? I haven't seen many recent posts that discuss this at length. I'm also thinking of sourcing some used components as I need everything but the CAT. Anyone have any good used stuff for the 2.1 in western PA. Obviously the cost and conditon would dictate which route I go. I guess the truth is I don't have the $400+ to replace the OE system. My wife is still suspicous of my big white money pit in the driveway. > > Ryan > > *actually it hasn't been a money pit, just some nickels and dimes so far, I paid to much up front though > > >