Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:17:00 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: trans fluid

I bought a regular 17mm Allen wrench then cut a small piece off of it which I drive with a "Gear Wrench". It works great and gets into tight spaces easily.

Mike

azsun99 wrote: > You can buy the 17mm socket from list vendors or local FLAPS for around 5 bucks. > Jerry > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "J Stewart" <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:11 AM > Subject: Re: trans fluid > > >>> Also, how much is needed?< >>> I think for a 4 speed MT tranny you'll need to buy 4 quarts. It says either 3.2 >> or 3.4 in Bentley, I don't recall which (but it also depends on how much you get >> out initially). I did this a few months ago and it helps a TON to buy one of >> those little trans-fill pumps for $7 that sit inside the container and allows >> you to pump it in through a tube....oh...looks like you have the tranny out - >> even easier, just dump it in, sorry for not reading thoroughly.< >> >> You will need 4 quarts, although you won't use too much out of the 4th quart. I > can't see how you'd do it without the pump adaptor (as expensive as MT-90 is, I didn't > want it all over the driveway) . I bought the 17mm fill plug wrench from NAPA, found > it too big to get in there to remove either the drain plug or the fill plug, had to > cut about 1 inch off of it and put that in a 17mm box end wrench and it worked like a > champ. Another bit of advice I had gotten-make damn sure you can get the fill plug out > before removing the drain plug. Bentley does mention a lower fill level, something > about hard shifting if filled all the way to the edge. I used the MT-90, and my trans > shifts very smoothly now, well worth the money, IMHO. Jeff >