Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:58:56 -0500
From:         Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: S&S Exhaust system, how bad????
Comments: cc: Ryan Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>

I just want to point out that my van is a 1.9l. Looking around at the online vendors, it seems that the 2.1l oem system is much more expensive than the 2.1l system. Not sure why this is... are they not interchangeable?

In any case, given the bigger price difference between them for the 2.1l, maybe it makes considering the S&S system after all. If Ken says they last almost as long as the OEM pipes, I believe him.

-Wes

Wesley Pegden wrote: > I got the S&S system a few years back because I couldn't afford the OE > system, and feel it was a mistake, especially because of the issues I > had installing it. The exhaust job is already such a major PITA. If I > were you, I would put off replacing it if you can (until you actually > have major leaks they won't overlook), then replace it with the original > system "the right way". The other thing about the S&S system is it > doesn't last as long (it's thinner metal). You don't want the money pit > coming back for another system after a few short years. > > > Also, get out some pb blaster or whatever and start making regular trips > out to the van to spray those exhaust studs now, to decrease the chance > you twist one off when removing a nut when you end up doing the job. > > -Wes > > > > > Ryan Shawley wrote: >> The inspector man told me to think about a new exhaust for this >> upcoming inspection. I currently have what I think is the S&S >> system, it surely isn't stock. Searching the archives shows that >> some people have one hell of a time installing the S&S. Is this >> still an issue? I haven't seen many recent posts that discuss this >> at length. I'm also thinking of sourcing some used components as I >> need everything but the CAT. Anyone have any good used stuff for the >> 2.1 in western PA. Obviously the cost and conditon would dictate >> which route I go. I guess the truth is I don't have the $400+ to >> replace the OE system. My wife is still suspicous of my big white >> money pit in the driveway. >> >> Ryan >> >> *actually it hasn't been a money pit, just some nickels and dimes so >> far, I paid to much up front though >> >> >