Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:00:19 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Now my van won't start...
Comments: To: "A. Hurley" <ahurley@viewit.com>

Radio and hazard lights don't take as much power as headlights.

Do your headlights work?

If they do, but are dim, it's quite likely your battery is low.

If they don't work at all, first check the battery connections. If connections are ok, then try charging your battery.

If the headlights still don't work, and battery connections are clean, then either your battery won't take a charge (replacement time) or possibly the ignition switch is the problem.

You really need a voltmeter to check the battery and especially if you're going to do any trouble shooting with the electrical system.

What year is your Vanagon? Is it an automatic?

Has this problem happened before?

Cheers,

Neil.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM, A. Hurley <ahurley@viewit.com> wrote: > I did leave my lights on, I must admit. > > I tried this external unit to give the battery a boost, but nothing... > > The odd thing is (I think) is that the radio and hazard lights work, but > the cigarette lighter gives no charge to my cell phone charger, and the > key doesn't make a sound when turned on - nor do the lights come on in > the dash. > > I have a second battery in the back which runs stuff from a converter, > but I don't think it's connected to this other stuff. > > I tried changing the fuses to see if I could get the cigarette lighter to > come on but nothing happened. > > Don't have a voltmeter handy - just wondering if this problem is at the > key or the battery? Seems like I should hear that annoying buzz when the > key is in the ignition and the door is open (at least) > > Thanks, > > Andree >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/