Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:33:07 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is this coolant pipe position correct? (Pic included)
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Hi neil, Nice to see your comments and any response in general. You'll see my comments in another post how it's hard to even tell which pipe goes where 'sort of' ........the very best way is to have another van to look at. But it doesn't' really matter as you have a hybrid here anyway made up of three different things coming together.......your 81 air cooled van , the 85 donor van's parts, and a jetta engine. You'll also see my strong recommendation to not put the tank it yet . I can't emphasize that enough. I also cautioned about not locking yourself in anywhere, which you could by installing the tank prematurely, just in case you do need to adjust pipes or whatever. Resist the temptation to accomplish short term goals............. It's just a complete waste to have to take something back apart that was put in before it was really needed. Get the major components mounted first. The gas tank is the very last part I'd put in almost .........maybe air filter is , or the tach wiring .............but do the big components first.

Since you have a 15 degree installation you could try to plumb the engine the same way it is in the jetta, as opposed to doing it diesel vanagon style. There's some difference at the oil cooler, which I believe you have. You 'should' be able to keep the jetta oil cooler hoses layout just like it is now on your ABA engine........but that is different than diesel vanagon, so be careful. I only mention diesel vanagon a lot because that is the only stock inline 4 vanagon engine layout...........and they figured out how to make the cooling system work right. (not to get all crazy about cooling system details yet, but on one AAZ into a Doka I did, I varied slightly from DV layout, and it didn't cool properly. I had to really get into the oil cooler hoses and heater return to figure out that it must be DV style, conceptually anyway. And one hose on a DV that looks like a full size hose .........part of the 'octopus hose' on top of a DV engine layout ............it's not a full size hose 'really' .........it just looks like it on the outside. On the inside it's got just a small air bleed hole back to the expansion bottle - point is, need to be careful on engine plumbing........the DV layout does work just super fine.

And always try to do what the factory did, unless you *really* know what you are doing and have a good reason to depart from what they did. Seems that this is not very obvious to so many converters..........but it's sure obvious as hell to me. They already did all the development and testing, an spent millions maybe doing that .............we should take advantage of all that work they did, and stick with what they came up with unless we have an extremely good reason to change something. I've never actually done a 15 degree inline 4 install. I'd like to sometime. So nice to just leave the oil pan and oil pick up alone , etc. Scott www.turbovans.com

-----Original Message----- From: neil N [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 12:26 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Is this coolant pipe position correct? (Pic included)

Thanks Scott

Doing a 15 degree mount with a KEP kit.

I've got the Jetta/Golf and Vanagon Bentley's, so I'm sure I can figure out the coolant plumbing path etc.

I just wanted to confirm stock position of the stock pipes (which goes on the left and which one on the right). I don't want to have to switch them back...... after installing my brand new gas tank! --- ;^)

Having said as much, I guess it likely doesn't matter, in my case, if the LH pipe was in the RH side position and vice versa, as I'll be making the engine bay plumbing fit the engine position. And I can't imagine the next owner (if there ever is one) wanting to put back a stock WBX! --- ;^)

Neil.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > The hoses are real easy at the front of the van. Seems like 'most' 83 and > later hoses fit just fine. The 'oddball' is the 82 diesel and even those > hoses are close to what you need. > Are you doing a 50 degree install, like a diesel vanagon ? ........or > more upright ? > With the right DV stuff you have a bolt-in. > Be careful with coolant routing on the engine...........there's a little > difference between connections between a inline 4 in a jetta and how it's > done diesel vanagon style. > I just copy the diesel vanagon layout for hoses and connections on the > engine and it works perfectly. > One time I tried making the heater return go to a main coolant return > .........did not work. Due to how the oil cooler connections and flow work, > it has to be exactly as shown for diesel vanagon- that does work. > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > neil N > > Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:10 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Subject: Re: Is this coolant pipe position correct? (Pic included) > > I'll make sure I have the coolant flow correct. Especially since I'm > pretty sure I'll be custom fitting hoses to connect with the long > pipes. > > Thanks! > > Neil. > > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Scott Daniel - Shazam > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > The only really important thing about the pipes is that you have the > coolant > > going through the radiator the correct direction. > > What engine are you putting in again ? I forgot. > > Scott > > > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of > > neil N > > Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:07 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Is this coolant pipe position correct? (Pic included) > > > > Hey guys. > > > > Pic looking at front end of coolant pipes roughed in for my engine > > conversion: > > > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/coolantpipeorientation > > > > Are they in the correct position? > > > > Pretty sure they are. Searched but did not find pics. Bentley shows > > the position to some degree. (ends shown at rad) Just making sure > > before I put in the new gas tank. > > > > Next time I'll take more pics of donor parts *before* removing them! --- > > ;^) > > > > Muchos thankos, > > > > Neil. > > > > > > -- > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > > > > > > > -- > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > >