Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:33:36 -0800
From:         aatransaxle <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shift Lever to Transmission Attachement Question
Comments: To: Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM>

You have it correct..The splines on the lever will allow it to go on only one way (unless you force it)...straight down is the "N" and back is 2nd and fwd is 4th. In neutral, you can push it in toward the trans and get the other 3 gears Daryl of AA Transaxle (425) 788-4070 aatransaxle.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Cichowski" <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 7:29 AM Subject: Shift Lever to Transmission Attachement Question

Hi All,

Just checking to see if I did this correctly:

I recently pulled the Manual Transmission out of my 1988 Wolfsburg Vanagon ej22 to change out some shift boots, replace a stud, transmission mount...etc. In doing so, I of course needed to remove the shift lever (Ball and socket that attaches to the side of the transmission). I now have everything back in and am waiting for one more part before getting back on the road.

Here's the start of my question: To re-attach the shift lever ball and socket, Bentley shows that it needs to be put on at 90 degrees pointing to the ground in neutral (there are splines to orient it). I "found" neutral on it by loosely putting the lever on by hand and rotating it all the way forward on the transmission two clicks (what I assume must be 2nd and 4 gears)....then coming back all the way on the tranny to find 1st and 3rd....and finding the center of those clicks where it seemed to have a touch of loose play. I didn't see any instructions in Bentley for this - that tends to mean that it is something I should already know before attempting the job ;)

So, is this the way to "find neutral" on the manual transmission so I can attach and orient the shift lever assembly? - You'll all have to forgive me if this is a dumb question, it is the first transmission I've reinstalled. Luckily, it is only 1 nut to take off and re-do if I did it wrong - but I thought I'd ask before moving to the next step, adjusting the shifter, (which I gained a lot of practice at a few months ago, it's a fast and easy process now!)

Thanks, Ben

_________________________________________________________________ Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! http://biggestloser.msn.com/=