Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:40:17 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Towing Vanagon with Vanagon.  Brakes?
Comments: To: Zoltan Kuthy <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Thanks to the RV industry there are a number of products available to operate the brakes in towed vehicles. Bring money. Depending on state and weight of vehicle being towed it is a requirement. In general, over 3,000 pounds requires brakes. Some states such as New York want brakes on any trailer 1,000 pounds or more. A break away device is also often required.

As I have an RV and occasionally tow FUN BUS behind it I pay attention to these things. I have recently notice the sign changes at some weigh stations that they are now going from large commercial trucks to anything towed and also anything over 5 tons. This means my motor home.

If you have to go through a weight station, be prepared to be fully legal. This includes documentation that you are within the weight ratings of the vehicles, axles, and the gross combined weight ratings, (GCWR). If you note the ratings on the Vanagon door jam, we do not have GCWR listed. Yep, we can't tow anything. When towing, keep a copy of the owners manual with the tow ratings handy in case you are asked.

Dennis