Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Feb 2008 03:13:49 -0600
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Which way is right way for CV joints?

lobro is very good if you ask me, I really don't want the after market stuff, OEM is better as always, with a part like CV's

I need 2 joints soon, and have my eyes open for the vendor of choice.

Take Care, Joe

-----Original Message----- >From: Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM> >Sent: Feb 28, 2008 11:25 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Which way is right way for CV joints? > >Depends on the Chinese producer and there are some out there that are >absolute garbage. My Westy has been a guinea pig for VWG for both Chinese >CV Joints and CV Boots/Hdw from a particular manufacturer (that happens to >supply to both Lobro & VW in China) for the past 4 years with about 35K on >them. Checked and did a minor repacking on them almost year ago and they're >still doing just fine. With the miles I usually put on Ole Putt (with a >packed trailer I might add), I would have probably wanted Lobro, but after >being talked into them by my boss (and I'm not easily convinced >normally) I've been pretty happy with them so far. Remember I live in my >Westy Full Time (9 years on March 1st), so reliability (and mobility) is >paramount. > >But like they always say - YMMV >-- >Jim Thompson >84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" >84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" >73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" >72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" >oldvolkshome@gmail.com >http://www.oldvolkshome.com >*********************************** >PS: One would assume that just because I work for VWG I would be biased, >but I'm not. I've worked in this biz long enough to continue to have an >skeptic/objective (and "fussier" than most) mind about stuff like this. >*********************************** >On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > >> I went through the horror recently of replacing all my CV joints with new >> ones---from china. At least they were free, that's the only good thing >> about >> them. But they are still junk, so I have rebuilt my originals except the >> one >> I had to replace altogether. >> The chinese ones don't have any indication of direction, so they are no >> help >> to look at. But the OEM ones have an embossed side of the center hub (a >> raised area) and a flat side. >> >> Which goes in/out? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Jim

"the possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee