Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:12:08 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 Electronic Idle Control valve
Comments: To: inua@CHARTER.NET

You would naver want an idle speed of 1,500 rpm. In fact at closed throttle that should put into fuel cut off. The ECU does not get any feedback for AC, power steering, or anything from the idle speed controller. The idle speed controller also does not see the throttle switches. The ICU Is there to stabilize the idle to compensate for load changes and constant mixture variations due to the O2 sensor. The inputs the ICE receive are engine speed, engine temperature shared with the temp 2 sensor for the ECU and feedback for AC and power steering. For some reason there is no feed back for auto tranny not being in neutral. The actual jump in idle speed should only be 100 rpm or so but except for directly after a cold start, never over 1,000 rpm. Imagine an automatic idling in reverse at 1,500 rpm! Remember run away Audis?

The idle control valve is normally closed. When the idle speed goes below the set point, the ICU sends pulses to the valve to open it. The duration (duty cycle) determiens how much it opens bypassing the throttle to give more idle speed. If the engine has another problem causes a weak or erratic idle then it will not be able to compensate for the added load of AC or power steering and you will get stalling. A defective AC system can also be a problem.

Dennis