Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:26:59 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Old Cars and engine conversions
Comments: To: Pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>

Perzactly like you say Buddy.

And here's what I think happened regarding OBD-II conversions.

They really don't like old cars on the roads in Ca.

They really don't like hippies getting away with driving funky old cars.

They really don't want to even deal with engine conversions,

And if I have this right ( that OBD-II conversions are generally verboten )

They just took the opportunity to say 'ok, those < obd2 > are illegal. We'll just make it hard enough for them that they'll give up, and we won't have to deal with these older cars and engine conversions too much longer."

And they would be MILES ahead to pay a reward for showing up with a clean engine conversion install, with all smog devices, and a clean tailpipe.

Not THAT would be empowering to the citizens who desire to be creative and actually take part in creating what they drive, rather than just buying some 'applicance car' that they can't do anything with.

Fortunately is the 'diesels are free' .....and I think the ONLY reason for that is the COST of implementing a testing program.

Also...what's the law ? 30 year old cars are free ?

Right now that would be cars from the 70's....there are some great gasoline cars from that era. So that helps some, if that's the case.

Oh....and the sad thing is, by being so difficult, they force people to cheat. There are all kinds of ways to get some not-kosher thing registered or past a smog referee....it's like anything, you make it illegal, it just goes underground. They would actually have MORE compliance and cleaner running vanagons if they'd make it reasonable.

AND...there are people willing to do whatever it takes to find out the rules. Just tell me what the rules are, and I'll build it that way because I want to be legal.

Depending on what you're trying to get certified...'you can't.

I've read stories of the various anendies saying different things, various smog refs saying different things etc.

They way they work, they actually CONSIPIRE NOT to create what they supposedly are supposed to create.

Gumnit is synonymous with "ponderous' , ineffective' and dysfunctional.

Seems to be the nature of the beast.

I would be embarrassed to be getting 80K a year to make things difficult for hard working honest citizens - if that was my job.

Imagine how thick skinned you need to be to enforce some dumb law to the letter, to the dismay of those trying to do something reasonable and practical.

Seems like in Kalifornia the noids in the gummint want you to get rid of

anything that's not new. The emissions measured for a good running subaru

motor are generally significantly better than any WBX. So? So a converted

vanagon is BETTER emissions-wise than a non-converted vanagon. Don't even

think about the carbon footprint or environmental impact of making the new

mostly plastic, unmaintainable by the average Ben or Donna, environmentally

unfriendly car.

The smart money would subsidize such conversions rather than tell the

impoverished owners of 20 yr old trucks with 150k+ miles on them they have

to get a 'new' car. However the smart money left years ago leaving only the

dumb money apparently. Or maybe all the money left and all we have left is

the dumb part. California has its increasingly annoying collection of

_real_ problems yet our duly appointed and highly paid officials don't seem

to want to address those. The Emissions program is a joke. CARB seems to

subsidize the many 'smog shops' often run by folks of limited lingual

abilities and even less technical abilities who are more than happy to take

your money, mumble something about it didn't pass and take even more of your

money. Not that that is out of character at all. After all they do have to

compensate for the anchor babies in the emergency rooms with runny noses and

the translators to tell the the parents that their care is free, paid for by

their friends and neighbors taxes and medical insurance premiums.

Kalifornia's day has passed.

And yes we do have the best government money can buy, just ask Randy

Cunningham.

Yeah it's a bit of a stretch but not that much.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.