Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 2008 23:12:38 -0800
From:         Kim Springer <kimspringer@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Calif 2008 emissions fuel tank pressure testing? /NO
              Emissions Question

There is no conspiracy in California to get old cars off the road, though the State will pay you a handsom price to do so.

To get my truck legal in California (from Europe), I had to have it tested at a CARB approved test facililty. That test they heated the tank up with special heating blankets and put the truck into a cloased room and measured the emissions from the truck by sampling the air in the room for 45 minutes.

To get it to pass, I had to modify the tank with soldered, brass, barbed fittings and new hoses with hose clamps. The last item that almost made the tank fail was the filler pipe. I had a neck soldered to the tank that would accept a large diameter fuel hose from it to the filler neck itself, much like the American trucks have. I was told by the staff at the testing facility that the Vanagon (VW) design of hoses and grommets in to the top of the fuel tank could not have ever passed the original CARB importation requirements when VW filed to import them into California. They said the system design is faulty and couldn't imagine VW ever actually passed the required testing. I would be shocked if anyone on the list has ever (even as a brand new van) had their Vanagon hold pressure in the tank like properly set up emission systems do.

But, no more leaks and the tank holds pressure. When I take the cap off it puffs out air like my other cars do. Yet when I mentioned this before to the list, I got replies that I had hooked something up wrong. Nope, mine seals, yours does not. 4 lbs of pressure is what those heaters on the tank created. If you can hold 4 lbs, your good, but you can't hold 4 lbs with the stock tank sealing system. Grommets and plastic tubes will keep the gas from spilling, but it will not handle fumes on hot days.

So if Vanagons are passing with the standard re-seal kit on the tank, you all have nothing to worry about besides maintaining your vehicles. They are not doing the CARB test and never will. Be grateful for that ! The only upsides of my expenses on my Tristar is that I have one (legally) and I know I'm not adding CO2 from fuel vapors leaking from a poorly designed system. By the way, with the parts right parts (maybe someone could kit this out), a radiator shop can make the mods that are on my tank for about the same price as the reseal kit and you will never have to reseal again, not even a cross over tube, just a standard piece of fuel hose.

Kim '89 Tristar #7

----- Original Message ----- From: "VW Doka" <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM> To: <> Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:28 PM Subject: Re: Calif 2008 emissions fuel tank pressure testing? /NO Emissions Question