Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:16:09 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: NVC - Safety Inspections - WAS: Re: Calif 2008 emissions fuel
Comments: To: BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

Hawaii requires a safety inspection yearly but they also have what appears to be a "Catch 22" situation. You can't register (or reregister) a vehicle unless it has a current safety check and you can't get a safety check unless it has a current registration.

Well, here's the trick there. You go to DMV and get a permission slip to drive the vehicle to an inspection station. The inspection station goes through the vehicle and, assuming it passes with the exception of having a current registration, issues you a "Blue" copy of the inspection report. You then take that blue copy back to DMV where they can see that the inspection sticker is "Pending" so they issue a current registration ... which you take back to the inspection station so they can give you the "Gold" copy and affix the inspection sticker to the vehicle. Whew ... then you're good to go.

Mike Houlton, Maine (Former resident of Hawaii for 35 years)

BJ Feddish wrote: <snip> It worked like this, you needed > the filled out inspection form to get your auto tags. They never quite > explained how that was supposed to work. Let's see, I go to guys house, buy > a car but I can't get tags for it until it's inspected but I can't get it to > the inspection station because I don't have tags.