Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:35:13 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speedo Cable question
Comments: To: pyjme@AOL.COM

It's merely an idiot light or reminder, easily reset with the push of a button. No harm in permanently removing the whole box; I did!

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Young" <pyjme@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 12:16 AM Subject: Re: Speedo Cable question

Thanks Scott, that's what I needed to be reassured about. I knew that in a modern car it would matter if they had an EGR counter, so I wanted to make sure that I heard from more than one source before proceeding.

Peter

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> To: pyjme@AOL.COM Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 8:54 pm Subject: RE: Speedo Cable question

That’s correct.

It has zero function other than just counting miles and turning on the light.

Not hooked to the ECU in any way or anything like that.

Don’t’ know if you know how ‘modern cars’ are……..

But in a modern car it would definitely be tied into the computer somehow, like the computer would set a code for not ‘seeing’ the counter box, but modern cars don’t have speedo cables either.

They don’t even monitor miles, they monitor oxygen sensor and cat function, and set the Check Engine Light accordingly.

Scott

turbovans