Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:18:42 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: new Tiico diesel
Comments: To: Phil Stanhope <surfmobile007@yahoo.com>

Yah that is expensive!

And good point about:

"....... and i doubt the seven grand (shipped) is all you will be spending....".

I can appreciate this first hand re: my Jetta 15* project. (my first conversion)

Jetta (96K km's) train/harness/misc. and KEP kit: ~ $1200. Parts I replaced on the Jetta engine. ~$600. Cost of new/used cooling system parts not included.

My costs are small compared to a diesel project, (IMHO I think diesel engines are WAY overpriced these days..... )

My point: one has to look ahead to extra costs. There was some stuff I didn't think of. (Towing. Removal. windage tray. ? O2 sensor. $13x HO2S module $4x) Small potatoes, but it all adds up.

Neil.

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Phil Stanhope <surfmobile007@yahoo.com> wrote: > I dont know what ken thinks but that 1.9 TD is a thing > of beauty, untill you look at the price and i doubt > the seven grand (shipped) is all you will be spending. > I wouldnt dare run a TD with a stock 4speed on the > highway, so ad on another $3500 for Tiico 5-speed > gearbox, now we are approaching 10 grand. If you had 5 > grand in your van before buying this diesel motor the > total investment would be around $15,000. Thats all to > close to the cost of a used Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter > which will outperform the converted vanagon on all > fronts except looks.......sorry Peter, I think ill > save my money for one of those. > > Phil 84' Vanagon, Tiico'ed in 2002 > > > > > --- William Seward <trotxart@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > > Ken, > > > > What do you think of the Tiico diesel conversion? > > > > http://tiico.com/Diesel%20conversion%20page.htm > > > > Would you attempt the installation and for how much? > > > > I spoke to a gentleman on the phone there and he > > said they had about > > a dozen on the road with no problems. When I asked > > about emissions > > test passing he said he couldn't see why not. I am > > aware that are a > > number of Tiico gas conversions that are sitting in > > driveways with > > emissions problems (maybe they are all in Calif.) > > and what about the > > ECU mystery box. > > > > Bill Seward > > Alexandria, VA > > > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/