Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:20:07 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Still running like crap, the saga continues
Comments: To: jon <jon@KENNEKE.COM>

Just wanted to emphasize checking the throttle switch setting very carefully. I'd sure try another Air Flow Meter or two on it.

I'll tell you, it SURE helps to have half a dozen other vanagons to try components from.

Compression must be checked, like a basic.

Any shop chasing after weirdness that didn't start with a quick and simple compression check .....i don't know about that .

And you're damn right - if I'm working on a van and can only get it so far, I don't act like it's fixed and give it to them - NO WAY !!

Of course I'd tell them what progress I made, where their money was at, and other thoughts I had about it, but if it ain't fixed yet, I wouldn't dream of letting anyone think it is. The shop just looks stupid or dishonest when they do that.

...here's another factor too, in a really weird or illusive problem - the shop gets nervous that they'll have 7 hours in it and no result, and they don't want to charge you for that, or....they think it might take them 15 or whatever hours to find and fix it, and they don't want to charge you 2,000 labor.....so it gets tricky there.

'many shops' I think are willing to 'go the bit extra' to produce the result and don't even mind a little extra time in it, if they can get to everyone is happy, they made enough, you got value and the van works.

They ALSO may not like admitting or demonstrating that they couldn't figure It out- another reason they might have just turned it over to you with more 'Hope than Reality' .....not that that justifies it, it's just how they might have 'let that happen.'

Clogged cat ?? they can clog and unclog btw, I've seen it.

But what I wanted to say....

I worked on a guys waterboxer one time until finally I was gong to 'just install a NEW throttle body."

....and the dealer price was $750 or something crazy !!!

so I didn't do that.

I have about a dozen throttle bodies, and I've never actually identified one as causing a problem really, by itself.

I know for sure I could fix it. But it's taken me days at times. I cheat though, I don't 'go home at 6 PM" ....I might work until 3AM.

But, 'it's just a blockage or leakage of fluids or electrons." ( or multiples often )

Yeah, people tend to think it's 'one thing'. I commonly find 6 half things not right, and they all add up.

Scott

www.turbovans.com <http://www.turbovans.com/>

Besides fixing the throttle body leak, make sure you have no exhaust

leaks. Those will throw off the O2 measurements, and the ECU will set the

mixture all wrong.

Also, make sure your throttle switch is set properly.

And, have you done a compression test? If one or more cylinders is off

from the other ones, that can cause this problem.

Then, less likely are injectors, ECU and fuel pump. You've replaced your

fuel filter recently, right? Temp II??

My two guesses on Thump, thump are CV joints, or your brakes. I have a

buddy that thought his CV joints were going, and it turned out to be

something in his brakes.

Jon