Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 2008 08:52:42 -0500
From:         Ed McLean <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: clutch bleeding

I agree with Scott that the traditional tube-in-a-bottle method, keeping the end of the tube below the level of the waste fluid, works well. However, I have found that the Speed-Bleeder check valve (www.speedbleeder.com) works great and makes this even easier. Just put a tube on the SpeedBleeder bleed screw as before, crack open the SpeedBleeder screw and pump the clutch peddle while keeping the reservoir full. When the brake fluid coming out of the tube is clean and bubble free your clutch system has been flushed and bled. Then just tighten the SpeedBleeder. This is now a one person job and you don't have to keep opening and closing the bleed screw in that cramped place (although this isn't absolutely necessary if the end of the tube stays covered).

If your clutch needs to be bled in an emergency repair where you don't have a tube, you can just cover the top of the SpeedBleeder and just let it drip onto some paper under the transmission.

Don't forget to close the bleed screw!

These also work on brakes but make sure you close ALL the SpeedBleeder screws because you won't have brakes if you don't! Check each one twice!

SpeedBleeders are available and any FLAPS.

For filling the brake fluid reservoir I poke a small hole in the cap of the brake fluid bottle This allows you to turn the bottle over and squirt it into the reservoir without spilling fluid all over the place. You can get a cap from that old bottle of brake fluid you have sitting around that you know you shouldn't use anyway.

Ed