Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:27:00 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: new Tiico diesel
Comments: To: William Seward <trotxart@comcast.net>
Comments: cc: LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

Bill, you are the second person in the past week to ask me about these. Before he asked me about them I didn't know they sold such a thing. The engine is used/rebuilt but it sounds like a good idea if you can get through the emissions hurdle and it is not too expensive. I would call your Virginia DMV. We call it NJ Motor Vehicle Commission now here in Jersey. I called them when a customer was interested in doing a similar conversion a couple of years ago. The person at the MVC said that is was possible however you would have to declare that your vehicle was a "kit" vehicle in order to go from gas to diesel. Then it would be exempt from inspection. Not sure what this entails or how this would effect your title or ability to sell the vehicle in the future. The customer changed their mind and didn't do the conversion so I didn't investigate further. I would say you should also replace your gas tank if you are going to do this that way you give the diesel a fresh tank to pull from instead of mixing gas/diesel. Not required but probably a good idea. Let me know what the VA DMV says. If they are cool with it then I would be willing to do the conversion for you.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

William Seward wrote: > Ken, > > What do you think of the Tiico diesel conversion? > > http://tiico.com/Diesel%20conversion%20page.htm > > Would you attempt the installation and for how much? > > I spoke to a gentleman on the phone there and he said they had about a > dozen on the road with no problems. When I asked about emissions test > passing he said he couldn't see why not. I am aware that are a number > of Tiico gas conversions that are sitting in driveways with emissions > problems (maybe they are all in Calif.) and what about the ECU mystery > box. > > Bill Seward > Alexandria, VA > >