Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:07:00 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: clutch bleeding
Comments: To: TC <trclark@SHAW.CA>

When you talk about not disturbing seals in a master cylinder ( old seals of course )

There's a firm rule that for a used brake master cylinder you never do full stokes., since the pedal normaly never goes down than half way, so if you full stroke it, you'll be sliding the seals over a rough area of the old cylinder wall.

A clutch master cylinder always does full strokes, so doing full strokes in manual clutch bleeding on those is all right.

I just like the 'feel' of feeling the fluid get pushed through.

You can even get a sense of how good the master cylinder is by how good it feels with lots of experience....

Every tech just works out what they believe and in and what works for them.

If they like pressure bleeding and swear by it, very good.

There's more than one way that is 'right.'

It's the result you produce that matters - as long as you get that, that's all that's important, regardless of method.

It's really dumb for anyone to get massively attached to their method being the only right way, not commenting on anything on this list however, at least not lately.

Scott

www.turbovans.com <http://www.turbovans.com/>

> No special tools or rigs are needed to bleed vanagon clutch hydraulic

> systems.

> My 'rig' cost 50 cents, and has performed flawlessly on the last 65 clutch

> hydraulic clutch bleedings on vanagons, or the last 265 times I did.

> You do have to know what you're doing of course,

> But I personally DO NOT recommend pressure bleeders.

> Scott

> Turbovans

> I have a pressure bleeder too btw, collecting dust on the shelf.

> I think it's better to use the master cylinder itself to bleed the system.

Is that because you think it is less likely to disturb sediment it line that

can lead to seal failure ??

let sleeping dog lie ...