Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:51:20 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      NEWS FLASH: replace bottom flap seals without pulling heater and
              dash

With my late-model heater/air plenum sitting on the conference table in my office, I noticed that the bottom flaps are not only removable by removing the four plastic plugs that support the shaft as it sits through the housing, but that it would be relatively easy to remove same with the heater in the car. I can't prove it until I put the heater in the car, but it would go like this: First, pull off the lower heater cover. Then get a flashlight and find the four clips that pull out. I will send anyone a close-up on request. Its difficult to see them, they are black plastic like the edges of the heater plenum they are contoured exactly like.

Make a note of how it comes out, if you put it in backwards it won't seal. Beware that the metal paddles that form the vent closers are not perfectly flat, there is an offset on each side that will force you to guide the blades right between the raised plastic channels in the case. A mirror and a screwdriver and lying on your back might help. Anyway, a lot easier than pulling the dash.

You cannot get to the upper vent flaps this way, only the ones that control hot air spilling into the cabin when they are supposed to be closed.

Jim