Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:57:49 -0800
Subject:      Re: Custom XP Listreader
Comments: To: Pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>

Or use LINUX with Thunderbird...

Think of it as installing a BioDiesel running TDI into a Vanagon. Free fuel {free software}, powerful and runs on old stuff like our vans {old computers}.

David Marshall Vanagon TDI guru / Debian Linux admin

http://www.hasenwerk.ca Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2

On Fri, March 7, 2008 10:51, Pensioner wrote: > From a personal preference standpoint I keep a spare harddrive with a > basic > XP OS with Office and a few other applications installed and I keep a disk > image of that drive that can be painted onto a new drive. I also keep a > bootable "Ghost" DVD with a similar image. Ghost is a dos level > application > that copies disk information at the sector level. It paints an 'image' > over > the old data on the target drive. > > When you get that 'factory installed' OS you also get lots of things that > you neither need nor want. > > If your old PC was an x86 based (windows) one, just move the harddrive to > the new machine by mechanically swapping them. The new machine will then > have the personality of the old machine. If it was some fruitflavored > computer even x86 based (OSX) then you will need an application designed > to > move your applications to the new fat-32 formatted disk. NTFS and other > journalled LUN based systems as touted by MS as 'better' may not be as > 'better' as you think. Remember you maintain and drive a 20 year old > rolling anachronism with all it's demands and quirky behaviour (Br.) > > Purchase a multigigabyte stand-alone harddrive. Use this to transfer what > you do need and do want over to the new machine. > > Avoid Vista. XP SP2 is good enough for what we do. W2KPro SP4? is > actually > better for what we do as it has lots of legacy compatibility that even XP > lacks. Yes it has a manual transmission, a clutch and is not as 'easy to > drive' as XP and yes you occasionally have to change your own oil and find > parts off the local scrapyard. > > If none of this makes any sense and 'fdisk' is not in your vocabulary then > doing all this may be above your current capabilities (not a ding, just a > fact). Have someone else do the work for you. >