Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:33:12 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel tank capacity?
Comments: To: Tom Buese <tombuese@comcast.net>

I had a 1967 Rover 2000TC sports sedan,

Helleva car.

Would still be relevant in modern times it was so good.

It had a knob on the console, like just below the dash that was a fuel reserve.

I put a spare 10 gallon tank in the trunck,

Fed the main tank through the old 'lower' spot in the main fuel tank and always pulled main tank fuel from there,

And put my extra tank on the reserve position of that knob-operated valve. Worked out nice. 600 mile range. I do that to all my serious keeper cars.

I had a 56 Bus with the reserve knob of course. ( my first vw and vw van ) - doors on both sides, a 'Commercial."

And I wildly guess that they kept that reserve knob feature until 67 at the end of spltties, but forgot that they put a fuel gauge in them in 1960, as mentioned, thank you.

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Buese [mailto:tombuese@comcast.net] Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 3:42 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: fuel tank capacity?

On Mar 7, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Scott Daniel - Shazam wrote:

> Possibly some people don't recall that older vw's traditionally had

> a real

> reserve on them. On a Bug, a lever you twisted to access a lower

> point in

> the fuel tank, on split window Buses, a cable knob to pull that did

> the same

> thing.

> Discontinued in the 68 Bay Bus I believe.

I think it was in the early 60's, possibly even 1960.

Mr. BZ-wish they still had them