Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:33:57 -0500
From:         Peter Young <pyjme@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Engine Conversions

All of this talk about engine conversion options - Tiico, Jetta engines, inline 4's, Subaru engines - yet no one ever talks about the Bostig conversion! I currently own a 1981 westy, but I hope in the future to either: go Neil's route and convert it to water cooled OR buy a water cooled van and convert it into a camper (using the 81' guts - I love the faux wood grain!). Either way, I want to drop in the Bostig conversion because I like the Zetec engine and the fact that their kit comes as a turnkey motor with mounts and all of the appropriate conversion parts (which is really only one engine/tranny mating part), and I currently own a 2001 Ford Focus wagon with the same engine. The Focus has really demonstrated the reliability and power of this engine. I have only had to get it worked on once for a bad exhaust sensor, and it only cost me $150. Besides that, just change the oil regularly and I haven't had to think about that car running. The Bostig conversion gives you that same reliability in your vanagon (who doesn't want that!), 130hp that doesn't require any engine compartment mods, and actually improves ground clearance in the rear (if you pay a little more for the shortened oil pan). In addition to all of this, the engine tune is selectable between octanes and can be set for an economy mode to improve gas mileage. For a price there are also super chargers available if you want, though they just make a vanagon ridiculously, obscenely more powerfully than anyone really needs (up to 195hp).

What's the downside? It is an expensive conversion initially. The kit is $8775, then add $225 for the shortened oil pan. If you want the super charger it's another $2950. THe ECU reprogrammer to change tunes comes included with the engine. While expensive, it doesn't seem that bad when compared to the other kits where you may have to refurbish the donor engine before installing it, fabricate mounts, buy extra proprietary conversion parts, etc. etc...?? The Bostig conversion is just a simple drop in, requiring you to only hook up the coolant lines, fuel line (the fuel return line is eliminated - another bonus!), 7 wires, and a couple other small things. That's it. Bostig says just about any automotive shop can do the conversion in 10 hours, and that anyone with only a little knowledge could do it in about 15 hours. Personally, it would probably take me longer than that but than I am not the brightest weekend mechanic in the world by far (just look at my previous posts!). Another thing to consider is that after the initial investment, your maintenance costs are going to be almost nil - this is probably a case where you really do get what you pay for. Here are the links to the Bostig site and a YouTube video of their super charged test van in action:

http://bostig.com/products/zetec/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B9_FeHKlXE

All of the proceeding rant is, of course, just my opinion based on what I have heard about other conversions and info from online. I haven't actually seen a Bostig van in person. I would be interested to hear if anyone out there has the Bostig conversion - is it really all they say it is?