Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2008 05:11:10 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      [NVC] Computer Stuff - file transfers between members

This MIGHT have Vanagon relevance ...... and non-technically speaking it's still Fryedaye somewhere.

I have had a hassle trying to get some large files to friends both on and off list. - Sending CD's in the mail was a hassle. So, I set up a personal file server.Took me a bit to figure it out, but I finally got it set up properly and it worked like a charm. Now authorised friends can log onto my computer and download specific files.

What I did!

I chose Filezilla File Server - a freebie on the internet.. Down loaded and installed it.

Opened the program and set the parameters. This will include a Home folder into which to put stuff to be used by friends.

Next I set up accounts for friends - User Name, Password, and dedicated file for that person. This limits where they can go on my computer.

Now here is some technical stuff.

If you are behind a router - you have to deal with the technical stuff.

Commercial Servers on the internet are in the "PUBLIC" realm of the internet. They run 24/7 and meet the needs of the entire WEB. We connect to the PUBLIC side of the Internet by way of a Modem. The zone that includes our Modems backward to our computers or to our Routers and computers and peripherals comprises the PRIVATE Sector. Anything within that Private sector cannot be seen by the Public sector. So for your modem to receive or send data - to the Commercial servers a link has to be established. So you sign up wioth an Internet Service provider, and you get an account set up and the IT sets this into in ot the server gateway to the Internet that youwill be using. Trick here is that when these two - the modem and the web server begin to talk to one another your modem will get assigned and IP Address. Every modem, every computer, every peripheral, has and IP Address. But lets not complicate matters here.

You can go online to any number of web sites, and determine your IP address. Write it down somewhere..

When you send your friends their account info be sure an include the IP Address.

Lets assume your friends User name is Joe, and password is joe123, and your Ip address is 123.86.3.10.Then send to Joe the following:

UserID - Joe Password - joe123 IP Address - 123.86.3.10

Instruct Joe to enter the following into the address block on his web browser.

FTP//:Joe@123.86.3.10

When Joe presses return, Joe will be taken right to your computer, directly to the Home folder that you set up.

Upon entering his password, Joe will have access to the Home folder on your computer and can download whatever you have put there.

There is one complication. Typically, ALL residential gateways to the internet have Dynamic IP addresses, especially if the service is Broadband. This means that the IP Address changes a lot. Well, every little bit you will be sending all your friends and update on the IP Address. What a PITA.

What I did was go to WWW. DynSYS.com and set up an account with them. They are a proxy organization and you can esablish a FREE account with them, and you will have a domain name with them Lets say you have just established an account with the, Part of the process is to give them a domain name they can run on their server.

You will be given a list of server names, and you pic your domain name. From the list you pick, Roadrunner.net, and you choose to use bird as your domain name. So now your full domain name with DynSYS is bird.roadrunner.net

Send Joe his account info Send your new domain name - bird.roadrunner.net. Tell joe to now enter the following in his browser address block.

User ID Password: IP Address: bird.roadrunner.net

FTP://Joe@bird.roadrunner.net

What this does is direct all communications through the domain at DynSys to your modem, Dynamic IP address is automatically updated.. When DNS as it is called, changes the IP address, it is change at DynSys and they automatically up date.

So now your friend Joe can connect.

With this system, you can invite a friend to down load large video files directly off your computer, where as they can't get then any other way short of putting on a disk and mailing.

The system works great. It is reasonably secure, and gets the job done.A friend can, for instance, download the etka from your computer. Saves a lot of hassle.

I hope this is of benefit to the membership. Pleae forgive any typos. It's the wee hours and I am very tired, but want to get tis done.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver