Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:05:59 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: troubleshooting sliding door operation
Comments: To: Joe Federici <joefederici@EARTHLINK.NET>

Update on this. I determine that it does seem to be that "pawl" not springing up fast enough/strong enough to catch the latch. It did seem to be gunked up in there, so after some WD40, I decided to try some brake cleaner. Blasted it pretty good and now letting that all dry before I go back with some WD40 again. I'd really like to take the latch apart, but want to wait on that project. I assume I have to take the panel off the door for that?

Edward

At 12:16 AM 3/7/2008, Joe Federici wrote: >Yea, I had a feeling you would say that. I would take a look at that >rear latch, loosen it, then pull it out ever so slightly and then >maybe invest in a new one when you can. I think once the summer rolls >around it will be better as well. > >JFF > > >On Mar 6, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Edward Maglott wrote: > >Joe, >Yes to both of your questions. Tends to work better in warm weather. >Edward > >At 10:34 PM 3/6/2008, Joe Federici wrote: >>Do you find it's any different in the cold of the winter then the >>heat of the summer? Does or has the rear hatch ever popped open so >>the rear of door pops out slightly when your driving. I'm inclined to >>say it's the rear latch. I would try adjusting it, per the manual. >>Usually it's a matter of the latch coming straight out just ever so >>slightly so it latches sooner anf the bolt sits further in the latch. >>Depending on how bad/old it is you might try replacing. That rear >>hatch cost around 40.00 >> >>JFF >> >> >>On Mar 6, 2008, at 6:57 PM, Edward Maglott wrote: >> >>My '86 wolfsburg model sliding door is finicky about being closed >>just right. Too hard and it "bounces" open, too soft and it doesn't' >>latch all the way. I looked at all the Bentley stuff on it, and it >>appears to be properly aligned. I looked at the latch mechanism at >>the rear of the door. There is the part that rotates and grabs the >>post on the van body (I will call that the latch), and the part that >>holds the rotating part once it has latched on the post ( I will call >>that the pawl). The pawl action seemed a little sluggish, so I used >>some WD40 on the pivot points of both it, and the latch. No >>change. Any advice? >> >>Edward