Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:44:17 -0400
From:         robert feller <syncro.carboncow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How Long Running to Charge the Battery After Starting?
Comments: To: Ken Lewis <kdlewis@northstate.net>

Ken is very right, it takes a good three stage charge to properly "top off" a battery and although 12amps or more is needed for good charging it actually can be done with far less, it simply takes longer. Once down to top off and trickle mode the amps are way down.

An alternator doesn't have a smart charing it is just blasting away at max output and never properly tops off.

Personally the initial question posed by Loren is interesting but I doubt the answer poses any realistic "better solution" from idle nor under load. Yes the battery takes a hit from starting but how much it recovers depends on how long you leave the car running. A good battery is regarded perfect in a short amount of time.

Shawn

-- Shawn Feller Ohio www.carboncow.com