Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:20:24 -0700
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: body work vs. mechanical work

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against conversions or doing it yourself. I just think it is unrealistic for anyone to say that their time is free. Everything has a cost, including "free time". Sorry, it's just those damn economics classes that I had to take in college kicking in... TANSTAFL

So... just how much of your "free time" went into the conversion?

Cheers,

Jeff

On 3/10/08, Rob <becida@comcast.net> wrote: > > Time? Of course there was time on it and that time didn't cost me a > dime, hell I enjoyed it! > More time than I expected but this isn't about what I or you do with > our free time, it's about "I have never heard of anyone doing a > conversion for less than just replacing the waterboxer with a rebuilt > one". Now you have. > Now if he had said that it was a lot faster to buy a ready to go > engine I'd have to agreed with him. Not more fun, not cheaper but faster. > <shrug> > > Rob > becida@comcast.net > > At 3/10/2008 05:38 PM, VW Doka wrote: > >How many hours? And what is your time worth (be honest)? > > > >I know that some people don't count their own time as part of the > conversion > >cost, but does add up. > > > >Cheers, > > > >Jeff > > > > > >-----Original Message----- > >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf > >Of Rob > >Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 5:00 PM > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Re: body work vs. mechanical work > > > > > >At 3/10/2008 02:55 PM, Kenneth Wilford wrote: > > >Andrew, > > >I have never heard of anyone doing a conversion for less than just > > >replacing the waterboxer with a rebuilt one. > > > >Here is what it cost to put a '91 Subaru 2.2 into my 1987 Vanagon > >after the VW engine put a rod thru the case. This is from a post I > >sent to the Subaruvanagon list after I was done. > >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` > >$2109.87 was the total spent (near as I can tell) including shipping and > >taxes. > > > >The header, mount, wiring guide, throttle kit, PS hose, Shiels thermo > >housing, adapter/flywheel, was $1137.94 > > > >When you include a new radiator (my helper over torqued the bleed > >bolt and cracked it), oil psi gauges, clutch & cat converter I spent > >$500.42 at BusDepot. > >These things were not necessarily part of the conversion, just things > >that needed to be done. > > > >$164.08 at the Subaru dealer (on-line). This was a new timing belt > >and assorted seals & o-rings. > > > >The donor ended up costing $185. > > > >I have $122.23 in misc receipts from assorted FLAPS & hardware stores > >including the hoses & hardware. > > > > > > > > > > > >Rob > >becida@comcast.net >