Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:45:51 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine adaptor for Audi 5 cyl?
Comments: To: Cotsford@aol.com

If a little fabrication is ok for you, go for it. Lower the engine a little to make some room and think hard about how you can route an exhaust as there is no room for a muffler across the back. The factory 5 cyls ran the exhaust up front first to a muffler under the main passenger area and then back to another on the passenger side rear. How to get the valve cover off with the engine in might be an issue to plan for as well.

Mark

Cotsford@aol.com wrote: > To answer your query as to why, its simply because I have one....and I > like the vans. I realise it would be far from ideal but the 109 HP > and torque would be nice in a Vanagon. The extra length would be a > pain and the height is a nuisance but as long as the main hatch door > would close properly I believe I could fabricate a closure that would be > respectable, space out the bumper and plate etc. > > I will investigate KEP, thanks. > > Steve > > In a message dated 3/10/2008 7:30:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > mdrillock@cox.net writes: > > As you seem to know, the VW 6 cyl 2.4D is just a 5 cyl 2.0D that is > built longer by 1 cyl, or about 4 inches. The 5 cyl is already too long > and just about touches the license plate door. It is also too high. No > doubt you could cut away enough of the body to make it work but why? > Better to get a 4 cyl VW diesel and use stock Vanagon diesel mounting > and cooling parts. > > I have never heard of any way being used to install a 5 cyl other than > with the South African bell housing for a manual tranny. It is not an > adapter since it is a stock VW part used in a stock Vanagon model with > stock 5 cyls, with both a gas 2.5 and a gas 2.6 offered. > > You could try KEP to see if they offer something. > > Mark > > Steve Cotsford wrote: > > Hi, > > > > It has been a long time since I was on the list as I sold my last > Carat > > because it was poor in the snow in the mountains of NC. I never > lost my > > attachment for the vans though and would not mind having another. > > > > I have difficulty believing the prices of some of the Syncros I > see so I > > have abandoned the idea of owning one of them. I do however > have a good > > running 6 cyl VW diesel (ex. Volvo) and am toying with the idea > of powering a van > > with one. Yes it is heavy and it is long. It is actually a > 6 cylinder > > version of the VW 4 cyl diesel fitted to Vanagons and strongly > resembles the 5 > > cylinder fitted to Audi 5000's, but longer of course. > > > > I know it has been done as I saw one for sale on Ebay once but I > would like > > to get a feel for what it would take to adapt the engine either > to an auto > > tranny or a 5 speed. I think there may be an expensive > South African > > adapter but if there are other options, I would love to hear > about them. > > > > I don't have a van at this point but I would be interested in any > kind of > > project that would involve a half way decent vehicle that has a/c > up front. > > > > Anybody? > > > > thanks, > > > > Steve Cotsford > > > > > > > > **************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL > Money & > > Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001) > > > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance. > <http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001>