Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:58:27 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: -Now Engine Conversion - doing your own soobie wire harness
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

One major advantage to doing your own subaru wiring harness is that you will be infinitely more equipped to deal with any engine management issues that might ever crop up, should that ever happen,

than if you have someone else do it.

PLUS, depending on who you have do it, if you do it yourself and are careful and meticulous, at least then you know it was done correctly.

And they are not that hard to do really either.

Re the 300K on the Subaru car engine - a vanagon puts a fair amount more load and stress on any car-type engine. Just how it is.

And shortened oil pan too, might be a factor in how they can do 300K just fine in a Subaru car often, they are less likely to do 300K in a vanagon, unless you drive it really nicely and take really good care of it - oil changes. Mostly once dialed in, you don't work in them much at all.

And you can always get a low miles inexpensive JDM engine and put that long block in, using your US model fuel system parts.

Scott

www.turbovans.com <http://www.turbovans.com/>

<And besides, a low mileage used Subaru

engine is pretty darn expensive these days. I know if I were going to go the

Subaru route there is no way I'd put some engine in there that already had

150K miles on it.>

Bryan,

You are mostly correct here, I am in the exact same situation that has been described here today. I "started" my Subie coversion back in June of last year. Got the engine pulled from the donor ('91 Legacy w/144K that I drove home 100 miles-I have no qualms putting this engine in my Vanagon as it ran beautifully, good power, no smoke, etc.) and got off to a good start. Problems with parts from a vendor stalled the project for a few weeks, then I missed my time line. I wanted the engine in by Thanksgiving and then have the winter to sort things out. Never happened. Since my wasserboxer is doing fine I now plan to wait now until this fall to start-unless the wasserboxer has some catastrophic failure before then. The cost so far? Ballpark around $3,000.00, and I haven't had the wiring harness modified yet (thought about doing it myself, but the ONE thing I've heard everyone say who has done it is it's worth the money to pay to have it done). One last thing about the Subie engine-

a neighbor of mine has a Legacy, same year/engine as my donor (2.2) with over 300K miles and still going strong. One last comment-if I were to start all over again I'd give the Bostig a closer look. Jeff