Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:56:06 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: body work vs. mechanical work-Now Engine Conversion
Comments: To: BJ Feddish <bfeddish@netreach.net>

I was also "torn" between which platform to use in my conversion.

IMHO, one universal factor is money. So for me, when the right opportunity presented itself, (Jetta engine + donor parts $600 ..... but I didn't see it running so I could eat those words!) it more or less sealed the deal in terms of engine choice. That and actually plunking down money on a KEP kit!

I guess what I'm saying is that while studying up on the different engine choices and looking for good deals, I kept my options open.

Caveat: for me keeping options open was easier in some ways, as anything would be an improvement over the air cooled engine I was running.

And FWIW, once you make a choice and have the parts "in hand" you may find that things like "open heart surgery" on the wiring harnesses aren't so difficult. Especially (as Ben pointed out) when you have a pictoral/diagram of what to do. i.e. with my Jetta engine in place, I can now see much more easily what I need to do for the exhaust and carrier. Even though they are still two BIG unknowns (learning curve on welding/fabbing) they are less than they were when I was still in the stages of envisioning the processes.

Hope that helps,

Neil.