Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:29:18 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: TDI Problem
Comments: To: Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>

Hi,

Interesting you should write this :

"I am really weary of the foibles of my 98 and 99 TDI"

Do you suppose it's suffering from the intake manifold being pretty clogged up with goo, from the EGR system ?

That happens, from what I read in professional automotive trade magazines and other sources.

I wonder where you live and have to commute.

Scott

1999 TDI New Beetle; it hesitates (not a stall, just a hesitation) at about

1800 rpm and now it's doing it 2,000-2200 rpm at freeway speeds. Very

disconcerting. Also, accleration is not that good; on my 98 I don't ever

get the pedal down to the floor; in some instances with the 99 I have to

push the pedal all the way to the floor to get a decent response. Doesn't

seem to be the turbo; at idle it sounds fine. Fuel mileage seems normal.

I just had the timing belt done, but it was doing the hesitation at 1800 rpm

before that. Also, before the timing belt was done, and it has continued,

the car is hard to start after it is warmed up. Starts fine in the morning,

but when warm have to do extra cranking. That was one of the reasons we did

the timing belt, plus it was due.

If I can't get this resolved I'll have to daily drive my Syncro and sell the

TDI; that's not a bad thing except I have a long commute and it burns up a

lot of gas. I am really weary of the foibles of my 98 and 99 TDI and in

fact have a buyer for the 98; hopefully that deal is done this weekend.

Thanks for any suggestions and sorry for the LVC content, but I'm stuck at

work with a long commute and it's kind of urgent. My shop can't get me in

until Friday.

DoughNut (Donna), 87 Syncro