Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:40:40 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: -Now Engine Conversion - doing your own soobie wire harness
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On 3/11/08, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > What I'm getting at is how can you say this ? : > You've seen one Subie > > conversion, you've seen them all. >

"Beam me up, Scotty."

It is what you say in Da Republik of Amurka, jest (yes, spelling nazis, that was on purpose) an "expression". Of course, there are conversions which are best described as engineering abortions. My 84 GL with the 2.2 EJT looks fabulous on top. From the bottom is another story. Most Subie conversions mount and fit the same way. Nothing exciting there anymore. My point is once you've seen how well it fits, the rest is just fluff. They all pretty much sort of install, right? Nevermind that so-and-so's wiring looks like a refugee from the Spaghetti Factory or worse from Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. Most of the Subie conversions I've seen are nice but the luster has gone. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all. I would like to see one of those ones with custom bellhousings such as he once vendor Richard Jones is selling in the UK. I can;t say I've ever seen one of those conversions.

My other point was it is not as easy to do the conversion as many who have posted would suggest. Despite enjoying working on my cars, I know for a fact that it is often less expensive to farm out the work. I value my time. I'm sure most of us do. Time is money. That 309D was a good example. I would have spent all that time just flying out to Oregano =) before even laying my eyes on that Mini Bus. You on, the otherhand, could have gotten the thing running before I could even clear airport security! I know what time is worth. Whenever I work on a project I evaluate how long it would take me vs. what it would cost to get someone else to do the work. Don't get me wrong, there are times when my time is not as worth as much. For example, I have sit around today to receive a very large high value shipment. I don't have anything workwise which I can effectively do while waiting. However, my 88 Doka has a bad power window motor. I'm working on it now as you'll see in my next posting. Unfortunately, I do not think I can ever find any enough of these "special days". So no matter how much pleasure I might derived from performing my own conversion, my time is too valuable during all those other times to do the work myself.

Ya' see what I mean?

=)

BenT