Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:06:02 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      was spark wires , now about the future of diesel and fuel prices
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

( I'm responding to Jim Felder's note to me below, and thought it would be of interest to many, so I made it public )

Hi Jim,

I wish the law of supply and demand really applied, but it doesn't always - it's more political.

Take the price of gas and diesel in California.

It's the most populous state at 30 million, they have more cars than any state I'm pretty sure, and I'd wager they move more motor fuel than any state, yet they have very high fuel prices.

Just over a 10 mile distance, from Oregon to California, can mean 40 cents more a gallon sometimes.

So I don't have a lot of hope for the normal rules of supply and demand applying especially in the future.

Regarding overall cost of operation long term between gas and diesel - Since I see so many problems with diesel engines in vanagons and tdi problems, I'm wanting to factor in cost of repairs for the long term- say 100K to 150K miles.

Cost of maintanence is probably roughly equal long term, but I think these vw diesels are not a 'long term, overly well-built super reliable' piece of equipment, like say an older Mercedes diesel is.

Just today a woman in California is thinking about bailing on a 98 and a 99 tdi's cars of hers, mainly over repair issues.

I know diesel is easier to refine that gasoline, or surely once was.

Well Saudi crude - ....it's not like that is a wide open channel as far as I'm concerned - hardly ! perhaps once it was, but not any more.

Saudi Arabia knows they have the world by the nuts due to the amount of crude that they may or may not have. I believe they keep the estimated amount still in their ground secret,

And....Europe is right there thirsty as hell for crude, and so is China.

Saudi Arabia doesn't need us much at all.

Maybe for weapons from the US, but that's it really. And we have military bases too there too, but our warmonger government has plenty of aircraft carriers also.

It might come down to home brew all right.

There is a global oil and financial crisis brewing. And the US does not have that much leverage really.

Plus we are hated by much of the world too.

Iran is the other big source of that juice.

And Russia, and Venezuela, and Venezuela doesn't need the US either.

I read that 'big oil' that we know, Shell, BP, Exxon and one other, control 6 % of the oil in the world.

Most of it the other oil they can't get to for political reasons.

And since we use about 40 % of the energy consumed in the world...or some number like that - we are the highest consumer of resources per capita, significantly so...

And, the regular US product-making machine is trapped in a corner needing gobs of oil we don't have. .

And a Humvee in Iraq gets about 10 mpg,

And the new up to 30,000 lbs MRAP anti-mine vehicles probably get 6 mpg if that, and they've ordered 17,000 of them.

It's called Mass Dysfunctionality.

And it's all so UNNECCESARY too. !

It's gonna be interesting...

AND....very clearly, the old law of supply and demand won't apply too much anymore, because the demand for oil is increasing dramatically all the time, (millions of new cars in china and India for example. People that never owned cars before ) while the amount in the ground has to be finite.

I think it might be Iran - gas there might be as low as 7 cents a gallon. And they're sure not going to export to the US unless there's some big incentive. Our governments don't even talk to each other - a Bush policy. How very dysfunctional. That boy has already, and could still cause the death of countless human beings. But, more and more it's a matter of getting it at all.

And given the whole mideast war and terrorist thing, global warming, rising sea levels perhaps, and the craziness and size of china....

We'll be lucky if we can keep anything that's at all similar to what we've know up until now in our foreseeable future.

It really does appear that a tipping point is being reached, and the old ways of lots and lots of cheap gas or diesel fuel....

Given world conditions....particularly around politics and war/terrorism and ideology, and over population and rampant consumerism....we're witnessing an end of an era...this last hundred years of wide open car and fuel enjoyment could be slowly coming to an end as we've known it during our lives so far.

It will be interesting all right. Not a doomsayer, but ... you know....you watch ....in retrospect, if things do go south generally, looking back, all the warning signs were there all along. And not even a hundredth of what could be done is being done, though it's shifting daily. Already SUV sales are down , hybrid sales are up, and mass transit ridership is up.

And if they whole monstrous mega-machine doesn't collapse completely - I consider that a big fat WIN, cause all the elements that need to be in place for that to happen, are in place. I don't think it actually will quite, but the potential is definitely there. And I'm not a pessimist either, but Muman Mass Dysfunctionality is so blatantly apparent - all that war and killing, and bombings, etc. give me a break. And the amount at which we consume fuel on a minute by minute basis - there are approximately 1,000 jet air liners in the air at any given moment. Humans could do SO much better. And we are so lucky for where we live too.

Scott

turbovans

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Felder [mailto:jim.felder@gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:56 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Subject: Re: Spark plug wires

Scott,

If you look at the math I submitted with my post, you'll see that my diesel WESTY (a big mileage disadvantage) gets about 6 cents a mile lower fuel cost than my 90, even with the fuel costing fifty cents a gallon more.

The diesel advantage is disappearing, of course. It may not disappear, or it may disappear. If the demand for diesel picks up, then refineries will distill more of it, and the supply will open up and the cost will go down.

There's no reason for it to be more expensive. It's cheaper to make than gas, and any old saudi crude will do. You can turn some pretty bad crude into good diesel much cheaper than you can make good gasoline from it.

It ain't over til it's over, and when it is over, I'll be running on home brew!

Jim