Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:53:58 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cut tranny input shaft while still in tranny? (for engine
              conversion)
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

HI Neil,

That might not be too bad I don't think.

All turbo ones start out going forward,

And then as I've said, I just do it 'DV style"

So then it curves down and under the left cast aluminum engine mount, and then does a U turn to the entrance to the muffler going across the back.

Just look in the Bentley book at the DV exhaust.

Post a pic of your exhaust manifold .

Scott

-----Original Message---- From: neil N [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 11:47 AM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Cut tranny input shaft while still in tranny? (for engine conversion)

Good point about sending welding work to a pro. I too had considered

getting a pro to do all the welds once tacked.

I'll have to research more to see pics online of the diesel setup.

One of my thoughts was to cut and turn the ABA downpipe 90* so it

would face forward then build the exhaust around and toward the rear

from there. But that just sounds like too much work and way beyond my

current, uh, welding "skills". --- ;^)

I'll look for a dual outlet exhaust manifold and go from there.

Thanks

Neil.

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Scott Daniel - Shazam

<scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> I'll tell you man, the diesel vanagon alternator bracket system - cast iron,

> and 10 times less crack prone than any stamped steel alternator mount in an

> inline 4 installation,

> And the diesel vanagon-based exhaust layout - the exact copy of their left

> and right brackets and rubber mounts for the exhaust,

> I've build many of those, and never a crack or problem or rattle or

> anything.

> I'm very willng to condemn cheesy vw construction if I see it, and the

> first time I layed eyes on the angle of the left exhaust mount, with the two

> rubber mounts, each at a different angle, I knew they had figured out the

> vibration planes.....and I have just copied that system over and over many

> times and never any problem. Like never once. I buid 'em copying diesel

> vanagon layout exactly, and there's never a problem.

> And gas vibrate so much less than diesel, if you diesel layout, you are

> going to have a bomber installation.

SNIP