Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:23:17 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sirius radio antenna for Westfalia

In a message dated 08/03/2008 11:06:00 P.M. Central Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Re: Sirius radio antenna for Westfalia

OK, time for some comments from a long time Westy SIRIUS user. If you search the archives you will find all of my previous posts on this subject. Under the Fiberglas luggage rack is not ideal for a few reasons. When the luggage rack is full of stuff it will limped good reception especially in fringe areas. I learned this rather quickly long ago. The Fiberglas also itself impedes the reception, a lot of you don't seem to notice this as your in very good reception areas. Wait until you get in the fringe areas. Then another very important consideration is when camping. You may find a suitable, ideal campsite with heavy tree coverage as we did in the La Manzanilla VW Bus Camp under the Coconut Palm trees or other antenna blockage and you may find it beneficial to move the antenna while camped to a location that allows it to work for you. If it's under the luggage rack then you will have a lot of work to do to get it out. Since there is such a long cable on the antenna you can most likely move it to a location that will work. So, where do I have mine now ? Well, it now glued with GOOP to the top edge of the luggage rack just left of the RH front luggage rack cleat. I can pull it off rather quickly and put it elsewhere then glue it back. I had it previously mounted on the front leading edge of the luggage rack with double sided tape but found that the more South we got here in Mexico it would loose it's signal often due to this angle. Moving it to the top of the rack solved this problem. I still get intermittent signal lose here in Mexico due to the large amount of stuff on the luggage rack which blocks the signal from certain angles and also the heavy tree coverage along the MEX 200 which can only be resolved with a major tree cutting campaign. I'm now thinking to mount it temporarily to the top of the luggage with a small bungee or other similar device. BTW, I am currently in La Manzanilla on the West coast and further South of Acapulco it stops working altogether. I have been as far North as Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec without any signal loss when it was attached to the front edge of the rack.

Please note that I will be away from my business travelling in Mexico from November 19, 2007 until April 30, 2008. Parts orders will be processed although not as quickly as usual. I will always be available for contact by E-mail. If you phone your call will be addressed by Greg T. Brown here and he will either call you back or advise you to contact me directly by E-mail. Details of this adventure are at _Buses in Zamora_ (http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/Busesinzamora/) . A Travel Blog is at: _Zamora Blog_ (http://poolio.net/zamorablog/)

Cheers,

Frank Condelli

Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June, 2008