Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:17:16 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Tank Weirdness
Comments: To: Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>

Keith, There is a hose that is the vent for the gas filling. I would check this hose first to be sure that it is not the problem. This hose runs parallel to the big filler pipe but is much smaller in diameter and then goes to the top of the gas tank. I would unhook this from the top of the gas tank and then try blowing compressed air through it to see if you have a good air flow. It could be kinked or clogged or the end that is at the tank is having a problem. You should find it this way. The charcoal filter and the other gas tank venting system pieces are only designed to allow for expansion of the gas once it is in the tank so they should really have little to no effect on the filling of the tank. The filler neck and this one hose that is with it are the two things that can cause problems with filling the tank so I would focus my attention there. Let us know what you find and if you need any parts please let me know.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Keith Ovregaard wrote: > After a third attempt to solve the slow filling syndrome, I came > across some weirdness in the venting of the tank. The Bentley shows > that the vent from the bottom of the charcoal filter goes to the air > cleaner, but the hose on mine goes up inside the frame above the tank > and makes a tight bend over a metal lip. The end was not connected to > anything, which means the fumes just vent into that space and then > into the atmosphere. Is that the way it is supposed to be? > > Another interesting thing to note: removing the charcoal filter had no > effect on the slow-filling problem. Also, the vent line from the > charcoal filter to the filter control valve was kinked a bit. So was > the hose at the bottom of the filter. Un-kinking had no noticeble > effect. I blew some air into the charcoal canister and air did come > out the other end, so it appears to not be clogged. Some white stuff > blew out for a brief moment. Not sure what that was. Maybe some filter > media? I don't see any point in replacing it. > > Another problem is that there is a slight smell of gas on the > passenger side coming from the rear wheel well. No gas dripping or any > wet spots, so I think there may be a problem with a vent line or > connection on top of the tank. Makes no difference if the tank is full > or half full. > > Any suggestions from those of you who have BTDT? > > Thanks > > Keith O > >