Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:12:11 -0400
From:         Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>
Subject:      successful 2000 mile road trip

Just returned from a 2000 mile round trip to Florida over the past week. The WBX performed flawlessly, for the most part. I was a bit nervous taking it because I have not really done anything more than running around town with it so I really did not feel I "knew" the van very well, but we really wanted the space of the Vanagon for this long drive with the family.

On the interstates, I ran it mostly at the top of the green zone (4,000 RPM) for hours on end. This equates to just about 70 MPH on my speedo, and it just hummed right along.

Did have a few issues -- first of all, the engine seemed to use a fair amount of oil, I'd typically have to add half a quart or so every other fuel stop, so probably a ~2 quarts for the whole trip. I was using Mobil 1 15W50. I checked the level at every fuel stop and tried to never fill it to more than about halfway between the "add" and the "full" marks. I never noticed any smoking. Not sure what "normal" oil usage is on a WBX, and I don't have enough history with this vehicle to know whether this is specifically related to the extended operation at higher RPMs.

Second issue, this happened only once, after a long period on the highway we pulled off to get some food, and had to sit at a couple of stoplights right off the exit ramp. The coolant temperature rose until the warning lamp started blinking but came down again promptly once we started moving. I never heard the radiator fan come on.

Third, had a moment of panic when, 1000 miles from home, the gearshift lever broke off in a parking lot as I was attempting to put the car into reverse. You may recall that I had previously discovered that this shifter had been broken and welded; the weld was so large that it prevented the spring from seating properly so I ground it back down to the original diameter of the shaft. Well evidently that weld was all on the surface and grinding it away took most of the strength of the repair.

I had packed a toolbox for the trip, and drove using a pair of vice-grips clamped onto the stub of the shifter rod, not fun I can tell you but I was able to get to a nearby hardware store. There, I determined that a 3/8" diameter threaded rod looked like it would just fit the inside diameter of the shifter, so I bought a tap and cut threads about an inch into each side of the broken shifter rod. The store cut off about a 1 7/8" piece of the threaded rod, which I threaded into the stub end, and then threaded the top end of the shifter down onto that. It worked quite well; I could never really get the two broken halves tight together so there was some slop in the shifter but it was vastly better than the vice grips and got us home just fine.

Allan -- 1991 Vanagon GL