Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:57:09 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 ECU wanted

My experience is that the ECUs for the Air Cooled VWs are fairly robust and rarely go bad. This is a testament to the quality of their manufacturing and durability of the day. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Wasserboxer Digijet or Digifant ECU's installed at the factory, just take a look-see in the Archives, especially for the Digifant variety.

That being said, one argument is that the Wasserboxer Vanagon after 24+ years has undergone more useage and more mileage (many over 200K, like mine fer instance,) by their owners, whereas the Air Cooled variety are usually parked after they've dropped their first intake valve seat, sometimes for years as at time for one reason or another. But like all electronic devices, they don't last forever.

Case in point, in May 2006 on the way back to Southern California from Tennessee outside Armarillo, TX, my ECU failed and here was it's symptoms: Driving along I-40, all of a sudden I get "surging", low power response and cutting out. At first I thought, could be a bad plug wire, cracked distributor cap, loose wire connection, maybe "Vanagon Syndrome", y'know, all the usual stuff. So I pulled over, took a cursory check of all the usual suspects, but everything check out OK and I continued down the highway. Started her up and everything ran fine for about 3 minutes, then the same symptoms occured again, so I had the idea to momentarily turn the ignition off and then immediately back on, essentially re-setting the start up parameters on the ECU. Whaddya know, it ran smooth again for about another 3 minutes, then the symptoms occured then. Then I noticed that for the miles travelled, my gas consumption was going up....a lot. Pulled over to fill up in Adrian, TX and noticed the tailpipe was as black as anything could get, real sooty. Well, I'd checked evrything, so I pulled the ECU and changed it out with the spare I always carry. Changed the almost newly installed (about 2K ago) 02 Sensor too, 'cause that baby was as black as the tailpipe (When you live full-time in a Westy, it's wise to carry almost everything spare parts-wise). When I filled the tank up there at the Conoco, I figured my mileage had plummeted to 6mpg! After replacing the ECU the smooth running and power returned. And the mileage resumed it's normal average. Had the ECU checked when I got back and yep, it turned out to be fried.

Now I run the "performance" European 2.1 Digijet ECU supplied by Boston Bob. Whadda difference!

OTOH, the ECU in my 411 Station Wagon is the original, still operates like it should after 37 years! -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com> wrote: