Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:33:53 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery and alternator - generic auto electric
Comments: To: mordo <helmut.blong@gmail.com>

I had a similar problem. My van would fire right up, and drive away, but on deceleration or stopping (say at a traffic light) it wasn't all that uncommon for my tach to spike up real high and than randomly die out (without a spike from the engine....just a dying). Then my dash lights would come on, and id drop the clutch, and be on my way again. My alternator ended up being shot. Pull it off and take it to your local FLAPS, they can put it on a really cool rig and test it. If it fails, that might be your problem. After i put on a new alternator, my "shut down issues" were solved, but i still had some wierd electrical issues and occasional trouble starting (except it would always fire on the first try, all subsequent trys would fail though...). I took my battery to be tested, and got some startling news..... It was only putting out 99 Cold Cranking Amps (on an 850CCA battery!) and had multiple dead cells. I think the voltage under load was like....9volts. Needless to say i now have a new battery.

I think our problems may be similar, and it's simple enough to have tested. I also carried around a jump pack with me, and once had to jumpstart the car from inside after it died going up a big hill....

-Craig '85GL