Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:39:10 -0400
From:         Neil in 'united' States <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Windshield? Leak

OK, I've done me due dili and read the archives back to 1995. I'm still convinced there's more to be learned from real time listees. Most vans with this issue are newer than mine and it's difficult to know what archived listings are applicable to my van and which are goose chases. Hence:

Got an '82 Westy with wet, driver's foot well, carpet after every rain. No driving involved, necessarily in this leak. Just sitting there waiting for me to fix yet another problem. Replaced the steering wheel y'day and stupidly cleaned up any water trails (if there were any), just so you know.

Didn't notice any signs below/near the fuses. Me antenna is on the passenger side so, I assume that source is out of the question. Top of windshield was sealed with some sort of clear-ish sealant which I removed while replacing the 'Roof Luggage Carrier' (pop-top) seal. The leak predates this removal so that's unlikely the entire source. Yes, I intend to reseal the wshield seal. Tryin' to decide whether the dings in mine warrant a new one (and more problems, I'm sure). Whilst I'm still on the subject, one PO gooped up the bottom of the luggage carrier seal as well. S/he did so all along the forward edge and partway down the port edge. Seems VERY stupid to me considering the amount of moisture coming in the top of the carrier and the lack of any drain holes, that I noticed.

My theory: I'm leaning toward blaming the top wshield seal and perhaps the bottom as well, where it 'pulls away with age' atrophy. I may be replacing the dash soon and so may have more clues during that mess.

Any advice/input/snarky comments from 'experienced' lurkers? Actually, nix the snarky comments. Wisdom w/o tact is obnoxious. :-)

Neil '82 Westy Empty wallet Migraine Afraid to take this beast out of the driveway Desire for a newer, dependable, Toyota, van