Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:19:59 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Scraping steering wheel - not screws
Comments: To: Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM>

Ben, You can adjust the ignition switch housing which will in turn give you more clearance between the steering wheel horn ring and the finger that pushes against it. Remove the lower steering column cover and you will see an allen head bolt that is clamping the ignition switch housing to the steering column. Loosen this allen bolt (if it isn't already loose) and then push the ignition switch housing down away from you. You will see that there is an adjustment that can be made here. Now take a look at the clearance between the steering wheel and the steering column cover. You should have more clearance. Adjust until you get enough clearance to stop the scraping noise. Now you should be good to go. Lock the allen bolt and put the lower cover back on and you should be golden.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Ben Cichowski wrote: > Hi all, > > (1988 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2WD, MT, ej22) > > I have a scraping sound in my steering wheel. I read archives a while ago and discovered that this is likely due to the 2 screws under there scraping along the brass ring. I checked mine and thought that could be it as the screws were a little loose, and there appeared to be some wear on the ring...but the scraping sound persists, even with tight screws. > > It seems like my wheel sits too close to the column - like right against the plastic column covers. Is there supposed to be a nylon washer/spacer in there or something that I'm missing - or is there an adjustment that I'm not seeing in Bentley that brings the wheel out just a touch? > > Thanks - Ben > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailŪ-get your "fix". > http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx > >