Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:35:45 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was running like crap....
Comments: To: BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

The problem with only doing a compression test is that it really does not tell you where the leakage is. That is where a leak down, then pressurize the cylinder can be real handy. Bad intake valves or valve guides are common on many fuel injected engines and while I have not counted, I probably see as many bad intakes as I do exhausts. Intake valve leakage is real nasty as it gives all the symptoms of vacuum leaks, bad EGR (and the Vanagon does not have one) all rolled into one. Another Water boxer is worn cam lobes especially for the front two cylinders. I don’t know why. Since the engine was rebuilt I'll bet that knock is really piston slap.

Dennis

>> You can of course start working on the heads if you want - and someone should for sure. . On all the waterboxer engines that I take the heads off of, the exhaust valves........at least 2 or the 4 usually are leaking some. <<

I'm not going to do any major work to this engine. It was rebuilt in a local shop 75K miles ago in '96. The heads blew out a week after the rebuild and I did the new head gaskets myself. The engine has also had a knock since day 1. Scares the crap out of me every time I go back there and listen to it idle. I really can't see me just replacing the top end on this thing. With the money spent and the fact the bottom end may not be too good I don't think that's an option. Now that I think about it, if I were going to pull the engine I guess it couldn't hurt to try just doing the heads. We'll see.

>> Oh btw, if your cat is hollowed out, gutted, not recommended at all. <<

Nope, it's brand new.

>> your car repair and maintenance budget lookin' these days ? <<

VERY low. I bought an '03 Eurovan MV last August. That was pretty expensive. If my WBX blows this summer I'll probably have to go the cheapest route, a rebuilt WBX. I say that now since the only old part left in the engine compartment is the ECU and the fuel injectors. (I know, I know, the WBX replacement would be cheapest for ME I don't want to do a Subi myself)

I won't be taking any trip this summer over 200 miles and I'll probably not use it as a partial daily driver either. Maybe I'll get another summer out of it.

I got it back tonight. The mechanic put in the new exhaust pipe, plugs, checked compression, checked fuel pressure (it was good) and did some other misc things. He also gave me another item to fix. He also advanced the timing 10 degrees. The van is running GREAT right now. I would say at about 90% of when it was at it's peak over the last 12 years. That's the thing about my engine; it always ran great, had great power and got great mileage. This crappy running started sometime this summer.

I want to leave the engine "as-is" right now as I don't see I getting it to run any better at the moment. IS that advanced timing OK?

Thanks, Bryan