Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:00:25 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: voltage stabilizer/gauges not working
Comments: To: Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM>

The voltage stabilizers on all three of my '84 models only use the outer pins. The middle pin is in the air (no female connector). All three have always been that way and work fine.

Mike

Ben Cichowski wrote: > By gauges, do you mean just the fuel and coolant temp? - I believe those are the only two being regulated by the voltage stabilizer. > > There is a good outline of how to check the VS in Bentley by checking the resistance between the pins (I believe between pins 1 and 2 and pins 3 and 2 if I recall - but that is from memory, so you'd better double check). > > I had mine go bad (always read very high on fuel and temp) and replaced it with a new one from an online vendor - had the same experience as Jeff with the fit (BTW, I don't think it's the vendor's fault, I think it is just the stabilizers that are being made these days). > > Not a big deal having to bend the pins to fit the slots, that is to be expected I'd say. But the main problem was that the black plastic piece was too big...the screw hole that fit through the connection tab was in the wrong place...and the screw was too small in diameter to screw into the back of the cluster (but the original screw would not fit through the collar on the new stabilizer connection tab). > > I ended up breaking off the metal collar on the new one, then filing a small notch in the top of the metal tap where the screw should go through. The original screw now sits in that notch above the tab (rather than through it, since the hole is in the wrong place) and holds the new stabilizer to the board that way. Works quite well, though it shouldn't take that much monkeying. > > My van is an '88 - maybe the fit is better for other models and you'll have an easier time?? Also, take a look at the tabs on the 3-slot female piece (the one that you plug the VS into) - on mine, one tab was broken off the board itself - pretty fragile, and it caused intermittent failures for me going over bumps and such. > > -Ben > >> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:36:41 -0700 >> From: slloth@COMCAST.NET >> Subject: voltage stabilizer/gauges not working >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> >> I checked my stabilizer with the key to the run position and I had >> volts in the pin closest to the passenger side but nothing on the >> drivers side. The center pin also had nothing but didn't even appear to >> be connected to anything. I suspect this component is bad? Any >> suggestions on the most affordable replacement? > > _________________________________________________________________ > Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. > http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3