Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:44:15 -0400
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Should engine mount move this much? (PIC)
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Neil, the cross bar is angled wrong. That's strange, because your mock-up pictures looked really good.

What I did: Suspend the motor (attached to the transmission) in the proper position. Attach the Fox brackets and rubber mounts. With everything hanging in the air you can get a good feel on how to position the bars.

I started at the Van body, fabbed the mounting plates, then estimated the angle to cut the cross bars. Made the cut, held the piece up against the hanging motor mount, made corrections, etc..

What you have will probably work, but it would drive me crazy knowing it was that far off.

I would re-do it.

Hi all.

What would a day be like without me asking these "one of a kind" questions? --- ;^)

Should the top half of this Fox engine mount shift this much under weight of engine?

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/tempfoxmountpics

This is on my 15 degree Jetta engine install.

I think I measured the position of the mounts incorrectly. I "leveled" the engine, then made marks for mount bolts onto carrier. When engine supported by carrier, the mount looks like it's shifting and engine is no longer "level".

I'm mentally challenged right now so opinions regarding mount shift shown in the pics, would help right now.

Seems to me that if positioned correctly on the carrier, then when weight of engine is on them, it should compress the mounts toward the carrier, but not shift like that.

Loosing my mind.... ;^)

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/