Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:44:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust gasket question 2.1
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

My experience is different on the exhaust port gaskets.

I've been using german aftermarket ones going on 30 some years.

Never a problem.

The flanges do have to be parallel to the head face where they bolt on, and the flanges have to be flat of course . the pipes can warp and crack..so need to make sure the pipes are good, but good pipes, german aftermarket exhaust part gaskets, installed carefully...they'll be fine until your next head gaskest job, which isn't even that far away considering how mickey mouse the waterboxer head gasket system is. - about 5 years, maybe 6.

I can't image that a sheet of copper would work very well.

Though you were going to say to make your own copper & asbestoes sandwich of materials, and that could work really great I'd think.

Scott

www.turbovans.com <http://www.turbovans.com/>

Is it a good/bad idea to make your own exhaust gasket using sheet copper

available from hardware store? Has anyone tried this? I will soon begin

to dismantle my 84's engine and replace the tranny at the same time.

The engine will receive a set of new Cofap and a pair of used heads.

I can anticipate need of a set of new exhaust gaskets. The gaskets seem

to crap out quickly and not cheap. I am seeking an alternative.

David

http://mail.yahoo.com