Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:10:53 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Floor Duct
Comments: To: Neil Crawford <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>

Each heater cable and it's sheath is an assembly. New cables come with the sheath and finned cover in my experience.

Typically, when removing a dash or heater box there is no need to remove any of the heater cables other than to undo the heater valve end of that one when removing the heater box. The others can all stay with the heater box and lever assembly still connected providing you remove the screws holding the lever assembly to the dash. This way no cable adjustments are later needed. No cables need to be unhooked at all if merely removing the dash.

I have replaced several of the crappy 82 diesel front heater boxes with later versions and would do so again every time I needed to service an 82 box. The redesigned box is much better in regards to the defroster setting. In mid 87 the box changed again and while it still could be used in an earlier van it needs different main vent hoses as well. Late 87+ no longer provides fresh air at the main dash end vents when the heat is on. I hate that.

Mark with 3 late 87s and 82 and 83 diesels and other Vanagons

Neil Crawford wrote: > hehehe You feel better, I bet. :-) > > If I take it to the nearest VW dealer (whom I happen to know is about to > lose their license) and tell them I'm a VERY disatisfied customer who's > planning to buy a BMW or Dodge Sprint and forget I ever owned this > monstrosity, will they fix this for free? > > Tried to replace the four cables and lever assembly y'day. The > fancy-shmancy soft fin tubes wouldn't transfer to the undamaged cabes > without lubricant, two cables were damaged (one being the primary reason for > purchasing the lot) and I deduced I should adjust ANY controls after > reinstalling the dash because I bent at least two in the process! > > I will say, it's the first dash R&R I've done and would never have expected > everything to work as good as it does and I'd NEVER try this in a new or > with anything other than a Yugo, VW, or Skoda! > > Neil2 > uSofA > > BTW, your response was worth a hundred, accurate, detailed ones, sans > pathos. > > > On 3/25/08, Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: >> Remove those 2 very long screws. Remove the small pad below the cold >> start cable knob. Remove the lower heater duct bezel from the dash. Then >> lift and twist that floor duct assembly until it clears the parking >> brake lever and gear shift lever. >> >> (then put it out for the trash!!) >> >> Next, remove the dash. Then remove the crappy 82 diesel heater box and >> replace it with a nice 83-86 version along with the cables and lever >> assembly all as a unit. Then enjoy the much improved air/heat controls >> like 90% of Vanagons have. You also want the lower dash bezel for the >> later heater. >> >> Mark >> >> >> >> Neil Crawford wrote: >>> Would someone please tell me how the forward end of the black, hard, >>> plastice duct/aisle is fastened to the floor of me '82 Manual, Diesel, >>> Westy? >>> >>> I see two plastic caps/bolt heads. When I pry them up, nothing snaps >> loose >>> and I can't imagine needing two peeps (one underneath) to unfasten the >>> duct/aisle. Then again, . . . this is a VW, so I guess that's >> it. Reminds >>> me of the old Aggies jokes in elementary school. >>> >>> I'd like to R&R the thing and am afraid to pull too hard. >>> >>> >>> -- >>> Neil Crawford >>> '82 Diesel Westy >>> '99 Saab Convertible >>> Empty Wallet >>> Headache >>> > > > > -- > Neil Crawford > '82 Diesel Westy > Me other car is Swedish >