Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:59:46 -0700
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: clutch time

I'm with Ben on this one and I'd bet 99% of professional mechanics would agree that having a lift is better than not.

Additionally, every method Scott listed below is easier to do with a lift. You want it a couple of feet of the ground... raise the lift a couple of feet of the ground. You want to use a floor jack for the tranny... lower the van and use the floor jack.

Jack stands suck! They always seem to get in the way. For most, they are a necessity, but definitely, not as efficient as a lift.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi,

Isn't that funny. I don't consider it arguing at all, and I think 'lively debate' is wonderful and healthy.

And - I'll tell you all the things 'wrong' with working on a lift.

One, your arms get very tired holding them above your head while standing. Some professionals that do this 25 years, 25 hours a weak, suffer from conditions similar to carpal tunnel and /or numbness. I find about 8 time easier to lay on my back on a creeper, or even a piece of cardboard, and reach up to things that are just a couple of feet above me.

Two - every time you need undo something 'up there' ..and granted there won't be much of that in a vanagon - but then, you have to either lower the car back down, or get out a step ladder to undo that thing up there you forgot.

Three - you need a special transmission jack,a stall one, to deal with the trans 6 feet up in the air. When the bottom of the van is only about 2 feet from the ground it is so much easier to deal with - you can almost 'drop-fudge' it the ground in that short distance. A floor jack is just fine even for lowering it.

I've had a shop with a lift. I had one for 50 dollars a month rent once, with a working hydraulic lift. I have no need for a lift at all.

You look at how race cars are built - which since I do a lot of conversion and 'building' work, I tend to see it as building up a chassis sometimes - cars like that start out getting built on a table even, and typically a race car is supported a couple feet off the ground - that way you can work on the sides, the top, and the bottom. Plus it's safer overall to not have it way up in the air. Plus you don't need that much ceiling height above the vehicle.

I raise the whole van equally front and rear. It's more natural to have it sitting level. One 'mistake' I see back yard type techs make is not providing good access to what they are trying to work on.

You need a flat level smooth hard floor, and a roof over it at least, and 4 solid jack stands. Truck size ones, not little dinky car ones. And the ractething type too- not the pin in a hole type..nice big solid mutha, and TWO floor jacks.

Then you can do anything pretty much. Lower engines and transmissions and so forth. How did I ever get by without a cherry picker for 4 decades !!? - I use overhead lifting from supported beams, for front engine cars, or even an old fashioned tripod made from trees- though that's much more an outdoor back year thing. but 4 very decent floor stands and ideally two floor jacks - works just great. Safer and more convenient overall.

For people that do a LOT of transmission pulling, I can understand a lift, and the last time I used one - same deal, had to climb up a step ladder and reach in over the fender to undo something from the top.

And holding my arms above my head a lot while standing - no thank you. 'taint healthy.

Scott

Hi Brendan, i don't want to argue with Scott but if you don't have a lift,

and i guess you don'T, it's not that fun and easy to do that on the ground!

It is possible to do so but by raising the front! Then, lowering the trany

and pull this one foward.

Buy the SASCH kit, nothing else. Believe me, i have tried many.

Now, i agrre with Scott, you DON'T want a lighter flywheel on a stock Boxer

engine.

Cheers, Ben

http://www.benplace.com/