Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:51:52 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV Bolts (Stripping For Attention)
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

I have written about the best method for removal of the outer cv bolts in previous posts, but here's the short version again; 1. Loosen the outer 46mm axle nut(s). (you do not have to put the van on jackstands; drive-up ramps would be better if you're bigger than I am (and I'm kind of big!) 2. Remove all of the inner cv bolts. 3. Bring the axle/ inner cv(s) off the flange(s) and gently let them hang down. Cover each cv with a large ziploc baggy closed around the axleshaft with a tie-wrap or a short twist of wire to keep the mess contained and the dirt out. 4. Slide the outer cv(s)/ axle stubs inwards; out of the bearings. 5. Remove the now easily-accessible outer cv bolts, using vice-grips to hold onto one bolt head while you loosen the other ones. Do NOT clamp the axle in a benchvise or with pliers or a vise-grips, it'll cause surface damage that will lead to failure. ON the last bolt, move the vice grips to one of the loosened bolts to break torque on the last bolt. This gives you the ability to properly clean the dirt, mud, grease. etc. out of the hex or 12-point holes with a pick or piece of wire, before trying to insert the appropriate tool and break torque on the fastener. I always tap the 6- or 12-pt bit 'home' inside the bolt recess before applying force. This method has worked for me for many years with a 100% success rate. Any other methods I have tried have only resulted in stripped-out bolts.........

YMMV,

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:23 AM Subject: Re: CV Bolts (Stripping For Attention)