Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:31:57 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane Hose Adapter (Useful Westy Accessory on Closeout)
Comments: cc: J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net>,
          Ken & Sue <kensue356@WOWWAY.COM>

> A question I have, is the connection the new style or old > style for connecting the hose to the large gas propane tank? > In the picture it looks like the old style you cannot use > anymore.

I checked this with technical support at Marshall Brass, who makes most of the propane fittings on the market. Since most existing tanks take a POL fitting, and most new tanks take either POL or QCC1, the included POL fitting is the most universal. Tech support told me that virtually all new tanks that take the newer QCC1 fitting are also backwards compatible with the POL fitting that have long been used on propane tanks. They said some people overlook that compatibility, but if you look inside the QCC1 fitting on most new valves you'll also see the smaller inner threads that accept POL. If you specifically needed a QCC1 fitting, they make a relatively inexpensive POL-to-QCC1 adapter (which you could get from any RV supply store or we could order). But they said it should be rare that you would have any need for that.

> Does the adaptor for the 1lb bottle require the Extend-A-Stay kit, > or does it work by itself to hook a 1lb bottle up?

The adapter is female-to-female. You'd need a suitable hose to go from the cylinder to the propane system. The hose is usually about $20 or so, but you'd still have no way to plumb it to your propane system without disconnecting your regular tank. The Extend-A-Stay kit includes that hose, plus the tee and other parts for the complete job, for just slightly more than the hose alone would have cost.

> That's quite a price break. I know it goes between the tank and regulator. > Beyond that, what connector does it have on it? Does it have a valve? > and what are the 2 hoses for?

It comes with a 4-way tee with female and male POL fittings, an outlet for external appliances, and an inlet for an external tank. So it goes in line with your propane system but adds two new fittings. One (with included hose) goes to an external tank when needed (to power your camper's appliances from the external tank). This could be another mounted propane tank, a gas grill tank, or (with the second-chance adapter) a disposable propane cylinder. The other (also with included hose) goes to external propane appliances such as a tabletop grill that you might want to power from your Westy's propane tank.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT